Installation of "webio_jupyter_extension" to support interactive Julia notebooks on SWAN

Hi SWAN Team,

Could you install the Juypter extension “webio_jupyter_extension” on SWAN? Interactive Julia Jupyter notebooks (e.g. using Interact.jl) rely on WebIO.jl for communication between UI and kernel, but this requires the “webio_jupyter_extension” on the Jupyter server side.

It’s basically just a pip3 install webio_jupyter_extension - see WebIO Jupyter installation.

Cheers,

Oliver

CC @jling

Hello @oschulz

did you try to install it in your home directory?

Cheers
Omar.

did you try to install it in your home directory

I can try - is SWAN running JupyterLab v3? Previous versions didn’t support installing extensions in home directories, and I’ve never tried it since.

I can confirm that a system-wide installation of the “webio_jupyter_extension” will work with JupyterHub though (NERSC installed it recently on their JupyterHub).

Hi @oschulz
We are not providing jupyterlab yet, it is coming…
but I think you can install it for notebook in your home directory, let take a look at this
https://jupyter-contrib-nbextensions.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html

How many users are using it? To install it system-wide, I think we need at least a number of users requiring it, otherwise, we encourage the users to install it in the home directory.

if there is a group of users requiring it, we can evaluate to put it system-wide.

Cheers
Omar.

Ok, I’ll give it a try. @jling may be interested, too.

Hello,

Has there been any progress on this? I am on LCG103 where the webio_jupyter_extension appears to be present.

When I try to plot something in julia requiring webio I receive the following error:

I also tried to go back to 102 and install it locally as suggested in the thread, however I get identical results.

@ozapatam do you maybe have any idea what may be causing this issue?

-Magnus

Hello,

Indeed it seems that LCG 103 has the extension:

https://lcginfo.cern.ch/pkg/webio_jupyter_extension/

We will report here when we have news about it being usable from SWAN.

Also adding @mato in the loop.

Cheers,
Enric

1 Like

Dear @christem and @etejedor,

Julia packages are saved in your home directory ~/.julia,
when you install a package may some of them requires to be compiled,
in the case of WebIO is a compiled package for PlotlyJS.
You can see it when you run import Pkg; Pkg.add("PlotlyJS")

if you are changing from LCG_102 to LCG_103 maybe the compiled package for Julia doesn’t work, then
the solution is to build it again with

Now the package can be imported but I found another issue because running

using PlotlyJS
plot(rand(10,4))

the plot can not be displayed.

Taking a look in the google chrome console I found errors like

Maybe this can help a bit.

Cheers
Omar.