Update pandas version in swan notebook

I have done the update by using ‘pip install --user --upgrade pandas’.
Collecting pandas
Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/f9/b9/9ad570258ce4fe504bd23002154f9e6f09bf7110359d271e4ba1664f7281/pandas-1.0.2-cp36-cp36m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: python-dateutil>=2.6.1 in /usr/local/lib/swan (from pandas) (2.8.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pytz>=2017.2 in /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/LCG_96python3/x86_64-centos7-gcc8-opt/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from pandas) (2019.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: numpy>=1.13.3 in /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/LCG_96python3/x86_64-centos7-gcc8-opt/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from pandas) (1.16.4)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: six>=1.5 in /usr/local/lib/swan (from python-dateutil>=2.6.1->pandas) (1.13.0)
Installing collected packages: pandas
Successfully installed pandas-1.0.2
Note: you may need to restart the kernel to use updated packages.

However, my notebook script still picks up the old version 0.24.2. Just wondering where should I run the pip command? Run it at my cernbox home directory?
I did ‘pip3 install --upgrade pandas’ and indeed I can import pandas locally with the latest version. In the jupter notebook, pandas still picks up the old version.

Dear Zhen,

You will need to add your CERNBox directory as PYTHONPATH:
export PYTHONPATH=$CERNBOX_HOME/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH

Please, follow the instructions provided at https://github.com/swan-cern/help/blob/master/advanced/install_packages.md

Regards,
Enrico

Hi Enrico,

I start my jupyter notebook from swan.web.cern.ch , and my lxplus home directory is not my CERNBOX home directory at the moment. Therefore, I don’t know which pythonpath I should add to which configuration file. For instance, I have add /eos/user/z/zyan/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages into PYTHONPATH in my .zshrc login file, however the jupyter still doesn’t know it at all.
How can I define my CERNBOX_HOME as my lxplus home directory?

Dear Zhen,

It might be that your home directory on lxplus is still on AFS.

SWAN, however, uses EOS/CERNBox only, hence the path you should add to the PYTHONPATH is /eos/user/z/zyan/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages.

You should set this path in a bash script that is loaded when starting your sessions.
For instance,

• create the file /eos/user/z/zyan/swan_config.sh with content export PYTHONPATH=/eos/user/z/zyan/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH
  • use this file (/eos/user/z/zyan/swan_config.sh) in the field “Environment script” when you are asked to configure your environment at swan.cern.ch

Regards,
Enrico

Just let you know I got the configuration work now.

Excellent! Happy to know it works!